“If a book is well written, I always find it too short.”Jane Austen
At some point, everyone reads a story that touches them. Whether it was a book your mother or father read to you as a child, a book you were assigned to read in school, or a book you picked for yourself, books have the ability to make lasting impressions on us. However, some books stand out to us the most. The good books, the ones that are more than just a well-written story. These are the ones that have really become treasures to humanity. What is it that makes up ones of these sort of stories?
Here’s some of the elements that I think make a book worth the read.
- Strong and alluring opening
- Charming and unique dialogue
- Diverse characters with qualities, emotions, and difficulties that the reader can relate to.
- Takes place in a “world” that has a measure of depth
- Captivating conflicts and character relationships
- Has educational content
- Original and suitable style of writing
- Involves themes in which readers can make their own perceptions
- A satisfying, yet compelling conclusion
When we pick up a book that have these components, it’s almost as if you never really want the book to end. Maybe you’ll even want to read it again. These are the stories that make you forget that you are just reading words off a printed page, but they make you feel as if you are traveling and are in another world entirely. These are the ones that will evoke deep emotions and thoughts. These are the sort of books that contain the power to shape us.
What are some qualities that you think a good book should have, or what is a good book that you have read? Feel free to share in the comments!